Baltyk Bakery [International Correspondent]

Bakery: Baltyk Bakery
Address: 10557 Kingsway NW, Edmonton AB
Website: n/a 
Style: Polish
Price: $$ 

[I swear that I'll finish by taking over the whole country! XD Yes, I was most fortunate that one brother of mine went back -- I say back because I'm a Calgarian born and raised -- to Calgary and Edmonton this past summer and was charged with going to at least three bakeries in each city so as to fulfil tagging requirements, many of which were visited for pure nostalgia's sake -- these were the bakeries I went to as a kid. :) Sure, he ended up going to the bare minimum, but I now have several stops in Alberta and he did come back with two pages of notes and a few (pretty awful) photos! The Cake Tour will be cross-country and absolutely brilliant, mwa ha ha!!!!! *calms down* Anyways, what with there being no food restrictions, some were brought back for sampling, others were eaten on the spot. Nonetheless, I'll regularly be updating my site with some of these finds (or returns). ^^]

Baltyk Bakery was one of the two bakeries we regularly went to when we as a family drove up to Edmonton to visit my grandparents. This was *the* Polish bakery and deli in the city and probably still is; at least one of a few. I remember popping in here on weekends, though I can't quite remember what we ended up buying. O.o Still, when I saw this pop up on the list of bakeries, I knew it had to be revisited.

To the first set of notes: Baltyk Bakery serves typical Polish bakery fare: cakes, bread, pączki (doughnuts), etc. I took the piernik (gingerbread; pictured) and 'poppy brandy biscuit bar' [it looks like a makowiórek cake with a choco-cookie top to me: poppy seed with coconut on the bottom, cream in the middle and then chocolate coated biscuits on top]. I was warned that the doughnuts were day-old and were therefore passed up, but I found it disappointing that there weren't any fresh pączki on the premises -- and they call themselves a Polish bakery! At the very least they were honest about it and didn't trick me into taking stale doughnuts, which would have made me mad. The poppy bar was soft and nice with a good punch of brandy. The gingerbread, on the other hand, was dry, the chocolate was hard and the raisin mid-layer had an off-putting taste. A major disappointment for a gingerbread connoisseur (lol, what on earth is that? This is the first time I've heard he's a gingerbread connoisseur. XD) like me.

It was alright. I was expecting something a little better than the average GTA deli, but I'd probably put it at the same level. I can't say it was that good.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment