@ Gentle Giants Whale Watching [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery?: Gentle Giants Whale Watching (aboard Faldur) 
Address: Hafnarstétt (Harbour Side), Húsavík
Website: http://www.gentlegiants.is/home/
Style: Icelandic 
Price:  included in the price of ticket (9100kr ;___;)

Well, this is as big a stretch as it gets, but I say it still counts. At the very least, I need something in return for having spent all that money. -___- Sometime during my trip in North Iceland, I was talked into giving whale watching a try. It's as big a tourist trap as you can get in the region and while I did see whales and all that, I still came away from it thinking I did not need to get lured into that... Anyways, there are three whale watching companies operating from Husavik harbour and Gentle Giants is one in the middle in terms of price. It was, however, the only one advertising that hot chocolate and traditional Icelandic doughnuts (kleina) are included with each trip. Compare that to cookies from the cheap guys and cinnamon buns from the most expensive and I just had to go for the kleina. :) 
Granted, it's not the greatest place to try them, especially considering that the company doubtless got them from the supermarket or something, but it was my first time trying these fried dough twists and that deserves mention. And everything always tastes better after three hours of Arctic wind blasting in your face and freezing your fingers. ;) So, towards the end of the tour, our guide returned with cups of steaming hot chocolate. It was powdered and not mixed that well, but it warmed the hands... Then came the real goods: a cute dough twist that had well, seen better (and fresher) days and I'm sure that simply wasn't the cool air having got at it. The fried exterior had already gone soft and the dough was very dense. Well, I suppose they're supposed to be cake doughnuts, but some cake doughnuts are better than others and these were so dense they were hard; I'm surprised they weren't as dry as they looked and felt. 

Alright, so the kleina were a bit of a flop -- kind of like seeing those whales, but being granted the exciting privilege of seeing a fin or maybe some distant water jet: you tried it out, you technically succeeded, but a return trip is so not on your agenda. Next time, stick to the bakeries. At the very least, it'd save me some money. ;DD 

Rating: *1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment