Kaffi Kvika [Mimi's World Tour]






Bakery: Kaffi Kvika (@ Jarðböðin við Mývatn [Mývatn Nature Baths])
Address: Jarðbaðshólar, Mývatn
Website: http://www.jardbodin.is/en/kvika-restaurant
Style: Icelandic 
Price: $$$-$$$$ 

Although I've run through my more orthodox selections from this year's trip to Iceland, there are still two places deserving notice (and providing more cool-factor for my map of cakes toured ^^); the first of which is the cafe located inside the MývatnNature Baths, a few kilometres east of Lake Mývatn itself. I actually went on a day tour of the area and the last stop was this hot-spring complex where tour takers had the option of shelling out an additional 3000kr to go to the hot springs. With that kind of attitude, you may guess correctly that I didn't take them up on the offer and instead spent the generous 90 minutes hiking outside the complex and taking in those deliciously sulphuric odours on the outdoor patio. ;D The smells and little flies chased me back inside, where, feeling a little guilty at sitting at the tables without buying anything, I wandered around the cafeteria-like cafe with its small selection of soup, pasta, and salads when the sight of cakes gave me an amazing idea: I'd make a Cake Tour of it! Mwa ha ha 90 minutes were no longer wasted!! XDD Yes, their sweet selections were a little pathetic, with only three varieties of cakes and two or three unexciting specimens of baked goods, all at ridiculous prices, but such is the sacrifice one has to make in the name of the Cake Tour. ^-^;; 

As mentioned above, the cafe offered a couple baked goods (it must not have been worth it or exciting enough, since I disregarded them almost immediately) and a total of three cakes for the trying, most likely not made by them; one was chocolate, another was the Daim cake available at Ikea (chocolate on top and some sort of low mass of nuts -- this seemed to be the most popular), and the third was an apple cake. I went with the latter (700kr; add a whopping 300kr for the chocolate milk and that's one third of the hot spring admission ;-;). Apple cakes are a Scandinavian classic; not only that, but I'm a total sucker for them, so I just couldn't resist. On top of that, it would be one of my first actual cakes in Iceland... and probably not the greatest example of one. In a sense there was nothing too wrong with it: nice layers of soft apples on top and a rather tasty, very moist, almost too moist, sponge cake. As you're grabbing yourself a slice, you don't notice that there are these pockets of thick caramel sauce inside. Not particularly fond of caramel, this was one of the minuses. That it was not worth it was another drawback; I can't say it was that big nor anything over-the-top delicious. But it makes a Cake Tour. :)     

Rating: **

No comments:

Post a Comment