S Market [Mimi's World Tour]






Bakery: S Market
Address: Mannerheimintie 9, Helsinki (basement of Sokos department store)
Website: http://www.s-kanava.fi/
Style: Finnish, European
Price: $$-$$$

I haven't done a World Tour stop in awhile, so here's one ^^:

I really have no idea how I actually ended up with supermarket baking on two occasions during my short stay in Helsinki, but mostly due to coming late/stores closing early, this became one of the few baked good options for me. S-market is perhaps central Helsinki's biggest supermarket, though their bakery isn't so spectacular. Unlike Stockmann's awe-inspiring selection, S-Market seems to lay low on the excitement and instead serves bins full of more pan-European goods like danishes with several fillings; nothing, I could say, is very Finnish and, as such, you just don't get that pervading aroma of cardamom sweet bread as you do in bakeries (they must have cinnamon buns, though I was probably too late to witness it). Another problem is the cost; like Stockmann, buns are all by weight. Unlike Stockmann, the baked goods aren't anything thrilling and so you really get the impression you're not getting what you pay for. Case in point: there were a few dumped, priced bags next to the scale while I was there and a chocolate cupcake ended up costing nearly €3.00!?! That's crazy!

My purchase, a featherweight strawberry danish (€24.99/kg) with a whopping 1.5 strawberries on top, set me back €2.50 and I can't quite say it was worth it, but it was the only thing left at around 8pm. It's certainly not big, the strawberries are certainly on the skimpy side (though not sure if I'd be willing to pay more for a few extra on there), and it was mediocre at best. I really can't say I was impressed with the price/quality ratio there. :/

There is, however, another option: discount supermarket Alepa (owned by S-market -- in Helsinki, there's one in the wing of the train station and another in Forum shopping centre) also has a small bakery section with all their selection coming directly from S-market. There aren't so many sweets and the more fancy treats (obviously that chocolate cupcake) are saved for original stores, but you've got a few choices, they're priced per item, and are cheap! ;) An apple danish (€1.40) with dense, cardamom dough and a generous sprinkling of rock sugar ended up being yummy!

So, I guess it just depends; when there isn't time to go to a bakery, S-market is an option, though at the same time, I can't say it's an overwhelmingly good one, though in the evening you don't have much choice. Besides the somewhat ridiculous pricing, the baked goods aren't very delicious and Stockmann is just... better. :P

Rating: **

No comments:

Post a Comment