Guðnabakarí [Mimi's World Tour]


 Bakery: Guðnabakarí 
Address: Austurvegi 31B, Selfoss 
Website: http://www.gudnabakari.is
Style: Icelandic, Scandinavian 
Price: $-$$ 

Another World Tour stop! :) I actually didn't expect to get any bakeries reviewed in little Selfoss, a town of about 5000 in the south of Iceland, and lo and behold! I ended up sampling some of the best baked goods on my Cake Tour -Icelandic edition- here, though, ha ha ha, it wasn't exactly from this place, three doors down from where I was staying. The funny thing was that I first noticed it when I had gone to see Kolaportið, the flea market in Reykjavik, since in the food section, there was only one sweets table... and they were from Selfoss! A few days after that, I ran over to this place for lunch (a cheese bun) and well, here we are ( btw, the tent and balloons in my pic was them setting up the parking lot for 40th anniversary celebrations; that was the day I left Selfoss and had way too much tourist-timidity to check it out). ^^;; 

I was actually surprised by how much stuff they had, and there was a lot more selection, especially sweet, here than in most bakeries I tried in the capital. Choosing between cinnamon buns event turned into a dilemma, since they had more than one available and a whole bunch of other, classic Scandinavian faves like custard buns, etc. And then not to mention their cakes, which looked so good, though I didn't get that luxury. *pouts*

Finally, besides the cheese bun, I settled for the compromise: the half-half cinnamon bun (alas, I don't remember the exact price: something between 265-295kr (roughly $2.50) with one part chocolate icing and the other pink (which I gather is supposed to be strawberry). I overheated one part in the microwave, but it still was so much better if you popped it in for a little to melt the icing a little, though it was nice, soft, and fresh nonetheless. I was a little disappointed that there were two parts pink and one part chocolate, since the latter was much better and, had I known, I would have taken only chocolate. The strawberry, especially when heated, became runny and had this more artificial taste to it. The filling in the whole bun was just super cinnamon-y; there was so much in this thing that it was almost spicy and after awhile, reminded me a little too much of cinnamon hearts (as much as I love cinnamon buns, this isn't considered a good thing for me). Overall, it was alright, but too intense, and it was far from the best Icelandic cinnamon bun I've had.

Next time (omg, if only there were a next time! Someone, send me to Iceland, because I'm IN LOVE with it!!!!!!! .__.;;), I'd try something else.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment