Kosher Quality Bakery

Bakery: Kosher Quality Bakery
Address: 5855 Victoria Av., Montreal QC
Website: n/a
Style: Jewish
Price: $

So I went on somewhat of a hunt (okay, one bakery, though the trip to the Russian deli down the street was very fun.. not in a baked good sort of way, but still...) for poppy seed stuff in Montreal, popping my head into the one of several Jewish bakeries in the city. Most just sell bagels, so it's actually not easy to find a real bakery.. and I failed nonetheless. There was no poppy seed to be found -- what, impossible!!!!! :( ((have no fear, Mimi, Wawel and their heavenly poppy seed buns are still there in multiple locations. Mmm, Wawel! *-*))

In this sense, the trip here to this fairly large deli was a huge disappointment as they actually had no sweet stuff when I went there; the shelves of both sweet goods, breads and bagels were cleaned out! I went down the street and back again, stepping into a Romanian deli and finding it empty, so I came back here and just took what was left behind: a chocolate "croissant" (as in the shape, not the dough -- $1.40) with dense dough and rolled with quality (and no reference to the name intended :P) cocoa. Seeing as I had plenty to sample already, this was given to the brother and he actually really liked it, especially the chocolate filling. There's quite a bit of chocolate used in Jewish baking (at least, from what I've seen in bakeries; I can't say I know about anything about it beyond that) which, from a distance, always looks like poppy seed so it can drive you crazy (okay, it can drive *me* crazy :P); I'd never gotten it myself, but the brother scolded me for doing so after enjoying this one so much.

I, on the other hand, was not impressed with what I picked by default: a roll stuffed with apple and cherry (around $1.40 -- I know I paid under $3 for two). From the outside, it looked a little like a strudel with flaky dough and fruit, but the fruit was really dense and mushy on the inside, so much so that it kind of felt like you were eating those potato pastries (yes, you probably have no idea what I'm talking about; the problem is, I don't half know myself XDDD). Just really chewy and tightly packed; the taste was alright, but the texture really bugged me.

So, I suppose my Jewish bakeries in Montreal venture was a bit of a flop; it was alright, but I've had much better. Fortunately, however, I was still enjoying the buttery treats from my other cake tour stops, so I can't say I was too devastated. :P

Rating: **

No comments:

Post a Comment