Björnsbakarí [Mimi's World Tour]







Bakery: Björnsbakarí
Address: Skúlagata 17, Reykjavik (and a few other locations)
Website: http://www.bjornsbakari.is/
Style: Icelandic, Scandinavian
Price: $$

Thought it was time for another Cake Tour~~! ^-^ I can't believe it took me one week of being in Iceland before I got around
to hunting for bakeries. The first time was on my day trip to Reykjavik where I spied this quite discreetly placed bakery from the car window, tucked in there on the ground floor of an apartment building. Having managed to walk back to it (it's not hard to do in a city like Reykjavik ;P), I popped in all excited, mostly due to the fact that I had totally failed to notice this thing on my first trip to Iceland last year!

Anyways,
Björnsbakarí is somewhat of a bakery chain with a few locations in the capital area (how many, I'm not entirely sure; their website doesn't work and finding online directions for Iceland is next to impossible) and during my time there, I actually encountered two, so it's not hard, though out of the central area. I stepped into this one on an early Saturday afternoon to find the quite small place offering some bread and relatively simple baked goods. Their selection really isn't very impressive and, unlike my other locations where had quite a few mouth-watering buns for the taking, I really had a hard time choosing one of the small danishes (aka "vienna breads", if the expression applies to the Icelandic language as well) since everything was custard stuffed and lined with pink icing, which just... doesn't seem to whet my appetite, though it's one of the most universal of Scandinavian baked goods (along with cinnamon buns, perhaps).

I was so unsure of what to take (and felt so bad walking out like the couple in front of me did) that I just caved and took what did look the most appetizing: this
gigantic kringle (795kr; around $7) which could easily be cut into 4-6 individual portions made of flaky puff pastry and stuffed with a cinnamon-y mass of almonds, raisins and apples and then coated with rock sugar and slivered almonds. Mmmm, so good! I was definitely happy with my choice, though at the same time, I was stuck eating it for the next 4 days and by the end, I wasn't loving it all that much. XDDD

Still,
Björnsbakarí doesn't have a lot of choice and it wasn't my favourite, but my purchase was quite tasty and the prices are pretty good and well, the gigantic pretzel is worth a try. ;)

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment