Jeanie's Bakery

Bakery: Jeanie's Bakery
Address: 3670 Odyssey Dr, Mississauga, ON
Website: n/a
Style: Jamaican, Caribbean
Price: $

Jeanie's Bakery is a Jamaican bakery whose goods can be found in the deli (aka Jeanie's Marketplace) next door and, judging by some things being labelled, are shipped elsewhere as well. They've got all your Caribbean baked goods (there are a few cakes, but they're baked by someone else), with the whole store smelling of spice cake and gingerbread. Mmmm... I think the aroma alone is enough to walk away with at least something! :P Breads and buns are labelled, but the other baked goods, wrapped in lunch bags and twist tied, look as though they were home-baked and for whatever reason, those kinds of things really seem to appeal to me. ^^;;

I ended up with three different items, none of which I know the proper name to. .__.;; First off, I got a spice bread ($4.00; small buns are $1.50) which is very hard to photograph in a flattering way. It's certainly not the most photogenic of baked goods, it resembling a loaf of pumpernickel or dark rye bread, but all you need is one bite of the super soft, moist, fluffy bread to get a blast of all those delicious, gingerbread-like spices and (imitation) rum extract. This was definitely the highlight!

Besides this, I got some bulla cakes (and now I forget all the prices... $2.00, or thereabouts for a bag of four or five) which are soft, round gingerbread cakes with a more dense dough. These were quite good as well, especially right when I got them, freshly baked.

Lastly, I picked up some lumpy cookies ($1.50? for a bag) which were more hard and dry in texture than the two previous purchases and had oats in them... or something. At first, the rum (possibly banana as well, though I could be wrong) extracts of the above two made me prefer the cookies, but once you start alternating, you realize these didn't have much flavour to them, though the harder chunks on top were pretty tasty to just rip apart and eat. So yup, spice bread all the way!! :P

Overall, there isn't much variety at Jeanie's and the treats they do sell are pretty similar in taste (gotta be that rum extract everywhere!), but if you're fond of spice or gingerbread cakes, you'll enjoy your visit here, I promise you that! :)

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment