Pain de River [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Pain de River 
Address: 8 Chome-7-9 Shimoyamatedori, Chuo Ward, Kobe, Hyōgo Prefecture
Website: http://www.painderiver.com/
Style: Japanese  
Price:

This somewhat tucked away, yet popular bakery has the distinction of selling everything for 100 yen. Of course, that's what their window says, but inside, there is a table of exceptions and tax is added after that initial 100 yen, so there is a bit of a catch. Nevertheless, the 100 yen selection is ample, with the same kind of sweet and savoury buns going for over 200 yen at other bakeries, including sweet buns, doughnuts and flaky pastries both Japanese and European-inspired. When it comes to baked goods, though, cheaper doesn't often mean better or tastier. So how did Pain de River fare?
I wasn't quite sure what to pick out; unlike some bakeries I'd been to, I had a few picks; for the price, I was almost tempted to stock up on more items, but in the end thought it wouldn't be wise since I would be the only one eating it. Having been in the mood for a doughnut for the past few days, I decided to try their simple sugared ring (108 yen).

That particular day was an absolutely miserable, cold and grey rainy day and biting into this super moist, slightly oily dough with a golden brown crust on the outside and an uneven sprinkling of sugar was exactly what I needed. Probably my favourite pick in Kobe.

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment