La Baguette

Bakery: La Baguette
Address: 607 Victoria Rd, Revelstoke BC
Website: n/a 
Style: French, Canadian 
Price: $$$ 

Not to be confused with the restaurant/cafe/bar of the same name along the entire front of the building, I'll admit I was a bit wary of trying the small bakery portion tucked away in between the said restaurant and the butcher shop next door given its uh, generic name. I mean, it doesn't exactly evoke much, but at the same time, hey, a French patisserie in Revelstoke... of course you'll find me there! Amid the rustic breads and gelato counter, the bakery area doesn't really have all that much in terms of pastries: some slices of pretty, torte-like cakes and one or two baked goods that at the time included croissants, pains au chocolat and what I was could call seasonal specials. Both times I tried the latter.
The first time, that seasonal special was the blueberry matcha brioche, an incredibly rich, flaky dough rolled with real fruit and topped with a flavourful matcha icing that I wouldn't think would suit the rest of the pastry (especially since many places that try "experimenting" with matcha never seem to get it right), but it did, very well.
On a second trip, I was hoping to another of those brioches, but found they were no longer offered. Instead, I decided to try the black forest croissant ($4.25). Yes, there is indeed a croissant under that thick layer of nutty streusel topping stuffed with tart cherries and decadent bricks of partially melted chocolate. In my opinion, a bit too decadent and difficult to eat, but still, removing a few pieces of chocolate, the croissant itself was excellently executed: flaky, buttery layers with every bite and so good with that topping.

This is without a doubt my favourite pick in Revelstoke and, personally, the rating would be half a star higher if it weren't for the service every single time I'm here, which I'm afraid needs a lot of improvement... and that's coming from someone who's not a stickler at all for service. A little less attitude and maybe a 'hello' and 'thank you' would do a world of difference.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment