Old World Bakery

Bakery: Old World Bakery & Bistro 
Address: 323 Nelson Ave, Nelson BC
Website: facebook 
Style: Canadian 
Price: $$ 

Old World Bakery is the only bakery in Nelson that's not in downtown. Not that that really matters, but it makes for a nice intro. ;) That being said, it's also the one that least resembles a bakery. With the pervading smell of eggs and fried potatoes, I would definitely say that the bistro takes precedence here -- as is the case for the vast majority of bakery bistros.

I'm always under the impression that 'the early bird catches the worm' when it comes to bakeries; at least, it's my excuse for whenever I show up in the afternoon and the bakery is empty. Well, I just had checked out and was at Old World for breakfast, hoping to pick up a nice, fresh baked good. I was disappointed to find that the entire area, even in terms of their bread, was quite empty except for three squares and a basket of day old items. O.o Were they still being baked? Did they hope to sell the day old stuff before bringing out today's baking? I was confused and, in some ways, frustrated, because there really was nothing to choose from. Gaaah, why was it so empty?
Never wanting to do a day old as my first review of a place, I went with one of three products available: the apple granola square ($2.99) -- that's my name and my estimated price. I have no clue what either actually was. Anyways, this looked like a nice breakfast treat with a healthier twist: nice granola bottom and an apple filling with good consistency. Quite good, homemade in taste as well, except maybe for the fact that both the dough layers were very oily and the crumble topping was soggy, a sure sign that it wasn't super fresh or it had been kept plastic-wrapped or something.  More confusion at this baffling bakery and bistro.

Rating: **1/2 

No comments:

Post a Comment