La Tana

Bakery: La Tana 
Address: 3 Fan Tan Alley #101, Victoria BC 
Website: http://latana.ca/
Style: Italian 
Price: $$-$$$

Hey, I'm back in Victoria! Yes, I came with the purpose of exploring some of the bakeries I had missed out on the previous time. La Tana was one of them; the last time I was here, I'd come about an hour before closing and found the counter empty. This time, I came many hours before closing... and that counter was fairly empty, with all leftover items having been placed into one corner. Nevertheless, La Tana is a cute and cozy bakery located down in this semi-underground enclave off Fan Tan Alley and is known as a focacceria/panetteria: a place to get your savoury focaccia and rustic bread, of which they have a few varieties each. As such, they don't really have that many sweets nor is it their specialty. Or, at least there weren't that many sweets when I was there. Why do online photos show so much stuff? I was there before lunch!!! ;___;

Ahem, anyways, amid the limited selection, they had a cookie tray of Italian biscuits, one tart, and three different pastries available in quantities of one or two. The rush had beat me to it, obviously.... One of these items happened to be a cornetto, plain and bumbleberry.
Now, a bumbleberry cornetto ($2.99) sounded pretty good. Really good. I still remembered the last time I'd had a cornetto... quite fondly, in fact. Lightly sprinkled with powdered sugar, this one didn't have that croissant-like crunch when you bit into it and I didn't expect it to be that soft and dense. Cornetti, one must recall, are slightly different than their French counterparts, but I still feel like the dough could have been more complex in taste and texture. The filling was nice: super fruity in taste and appearance and real, none of that coloured pie gloop nonsense; it was the definite highlight of this pastry.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment