L and L Bakery

Bakery: L&L Bakery 
Address: 120-630 17th Street Castlegar, BC
Website: facebook 
Style: Canadian
Price: $-$$ 

It took three attempts, but at last, Castlegar is on the Cake Tour map! Similarly, on the two previous attempts, I found L&L bakery closed. Having done some online research the last time around just to make sure Castlegar wouldn't elude me again, I found a bakery on this same plaza listed as permanently closed. Searching for bakeries doesn't get you anything about this place; it was only while driving along 17th st that I poked my head into the plaza and saw (yes!) the bakery had an open sign. So, while the other bakery I was trying out for the third time -- unlike L&L, they were always open but never had anything sweet, despite their website saying otherwise -- was a bust once for all, I left Castlegar with baked goods in tow. All's well that ends well.

Still, on a Saturday afternoon, L&L looked cleaned out. One of their specialties seems to be their doughnuts; at least, the empty trays, various signs with flavours, and profile photo point to this, but unfortunately for me, everything was gone except for three humble glazed doughnuts (there was another one in a different flavour, but the person in front of me stole grabbed it before I did). Besides doughnuts, they have quite a selection of classic bakery fare including several squares and home-style tarts.
But I wanted to try the doughnuts. So, I took two (around $2.20 in total; no prices are listed) of those glazed ones. The dough was soft and fluffy, just the texture I like, and the doughnuts were fresh and nicely sized. With glazed doughnuts, though, the highlight is the glaze and I found this one very thin; sometimes, you get a more runny glaze when they're glazed right away, but it did set properly. There was just too little of it. You didn't get that slight crackle of the glaze as you bite into it that I love so much.... They had the potential to be better.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment