Delta Bakery

Bakery: Delta Bakery 
Address: 4810 Delta St, Delta BC
Website: http://www.deltabakery.ca/
Style: Canadian, Danish 
Price: $$ 

The start of a Cake Tour road trip! I like to do at least one epic trip in Canada every year and this time around, it was Vancouver Island's turn. Delta Bakery, of course, is not on Vancouver Island, but there's no better pit stop before pulling into the ferry terminal than a bakery. Or two. Not to mention it gave me the chance to flesh out my Metro Vancouver bakeries.

Delta Bakery is a long-standing institution and when I say long, I mean decades long. 6 decades long! Great job; you definitely have my respect and clearly, other people agree as well, since there was quite the line when I arrived. Many items were already sold out and the ones that were left behind, including a few doughnuts, shelves of squares and cookies, and trays of apple cake, looked very good. Classic Canadian baking at its best.

Wanting to keep additional bakery options open, I came in with the idea of buying just one thing. I came out with two. Yes, sometimes you can't stop yourself....
I started out with the Copenhagen square ($1.99): flaky, softer underneath and a bit chewy, with a generous custard filling and drizzled in icing. Very good, but I would have liked for the dough to have been more flaky and crunchy. Actually, I really liked the texture of that top spiral, but the bottom was a little too soft. 
The apple fritters ($2.10) were perfect just the way they were: perfectly fried, great glaze and fluffy, delicately spiced inside. So good! Apple fritters -- well executed apple fritters -- really are wonderful things....

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment