Armstrong Bakery & Sandwich Shop

Bakery: Armstrong Bakery & Sandwich Shop
Address: 2565 Pleasant Valley Blvd, Armstrong BC
Website: n/a 
Style: Canadian 
Price: $

This was the second time attempting Armstrong Bakery; the first time I was here, it was supposed to be open, but wasn't. Really never like when that happens. Nevertheless, the second time was a charm and it was (finally) open. Yes, it felt a bit dead at the time and the selection in this smaller bakery wasn't the greatest, especially in comparison with the other bakery in town, but amid the loaves of bread and sandwiches, there were two disjointed display cases with sweets. I say disjointed, because I only really noticed the second one after having ordered something....
 So, why don't we just get right into it? There is one gem in this little bakery otherwise serving some fairly standard bakery classics like danishes and squares: krämbullar. A little imagination and the name says it all, even to those unversed in Scandinavian baking; yup, it's a giant cream ball.  Unfortunately for me, they either didn't bake any that day or had sold out, since the only ones available were day old stock. The lady sold it to me for $0.50... but really, I would have paid the $0.95 and gotten a fresh one. Still, even when day old, I bit into this fluffy, decadent creation and I knew I had made the right choice. Sure, this is like, 3000 calories, but vows of only eating half are in vain. You won't be able to resist that giant ball of yeast dough filled to the brim with whipped cream. Believe me. .____.
I mentioned that I was lured to the second display case only after having taken something from the first. This was an Eccles cake. I was travelling that evening, so my aim was to stock up on items that didn't necessarily need to be eaten the day of, and, such such, I chose to forego those aforementioned danishes and instead went for that Eccles cake ($1.29). In general, I like Eccles cakes. This had nice flaky dough with just the right amount of sugar sprinkled on top as well as filling. That filling, however, was a bit too homogeneous, a sort of indistinct mincemeat mush that could have used more spice and less raisins. I guess the cream is just too hard to beat....

Rating: *** 

No comments:

Post a Comment