Schimmel's Dutch Bakery [International Correspondent]


Bakery: Schimmel's Dutch Bakery
Address: 139 Central Ave N, Swift Current SK
Website: n/a
Style: Dutch, Canadian
Price:

Was this our second Dutch bakery? I think so. Anyways, we stopped at Swift Current on our way back from Calgary and, in Calgary, I was complaining about how "boring" Canadian baked goods were. Everywhere you go, no matter in what part of the country, it's the same thing over and over again (unless you get ethnic bakeries, but then it's pretty much the same few baked goods repeated): butter tarts, cookies, squares, and apple pie. I don't get why no one tries to be more creative or use local ingredients and actually invent something different for a change. If I had a bakery, I would think up my own baked goods so that I have something actually unique to offer people. Like in the Rockies, I would do something mountain-related, even in the name, or not sure if there's anything local growing, like wild berries. Is there? Still, it was like the same scones everywhere. Scones are so boring! That's why I was getting tired of doing these bakery tours. It's kind of annoying that no one really tries to stand out and make something with "wow" factor. Some places were good, but usually those that tried to put their own spin on things (like the cinnamon buns in North Battleford. Those were amazing). Everything else was just okay, except maybe that bakery in northern Ontario, next to the barbecue place.

Saskatoon berry turnovers were very good
Finally, there was Schimmel's. They had all the bakery classics, okay selection, and bread like anywhere else too, but they also had these saskatoon berry "turnovers" ($1.25 each). It was the most interesting thing in the bakery and finally it was something local, so I didn't bother with variety and just took three. Good thing I did: soft and flaky pastry filled with a nice jelly, and lots of it, that showcased the fruitful sourness and unique taste of saskatoon berries. These were very good. I don't know about the other correspondent, but my favourite bakeries were the ones in Saskatchewan, though we didn't go to that many.

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment