Fjørukrógvin [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Fjørukrógvin (@ Vestmanna Tourist Centre)
Address: Vestmanna (Second left from the main road)
Website: http://www.visit-vestmanna.com/ven
Style: Faroese, Scandinavian
Price: $$

Vestmanna harbour (before the downpour)
Note: Yes, this place does not have a street address. I searched various sites and only the town and postal code is given; Google isn't even giving me the street it's located on, so well, I suppose you'll know it when you see it. It's the red building to the left in the location shot at the top. :P

View from the window: the boat tour that never was
For those who may not know, one of the main sights that need to be seen while in the Faroe Islands is the famous Vestmanna bird cliffs, which are accessed by boat. These boat tours sail from the town of Vestmanna, and the tourist information centre in particular. As luck would have it, not only did I arrive upon the completion of one tour (and have tourists rave how amazing it was) only to be told that there would be no more tours that day unless I found 14 more people, but I went out to at least see the town and hike a bit and it started pouring rain. I returned to the tourist centre (I was asked to come back just to make sure no one came) freezing and soaked, and in need of some way to pass the time while consoling myself for a pretty much ruined day. So I went to the restaurant at the tourist information centre, which sounds a little tacky, I'm sure, but if you're spending at least a night in Vestmanna and aren't getting dinner from the supermarket, chances are you'll be coming to the restaurant too -- it's the only restaurant in town. Whether it was intentionally planned to be as Faroese as possible, or it's simply home-style food, expect traditional dishes of seafood... and home-made dessert!

Pleasant memories from Vestmanna after all~
So, I thought that if I'm not going to get my boat tour , I might as well get a *cake* tour. :) I ordered the "coffee and cake" (65kr), which I thought a bit much, but then realized on my subsequent trips that it wasn't too bad. You don't get any choice in terms of the cake -- either they always have the same one or it's on rotation -- but that was fine by me. I was asked to take a seat and wait for my cake to be heated up. Imagine my delight when I received a slice of apple cake with a side of whipped quark (a more sour creme fraiche). Given it's the tourist information centre, I'm a little saddened by the fact that this turned into one my favourite, even my most favourite Faroese Cake Tour. Mmm... this was insanely good! The cake itself was delicious, with its finely chopped apple pieces and amazing dough, but add onto that a dollop of the cinnamon and sugar-dusted whipped quark... *melts* I could probably have the whole cake. So good!

Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment