Mosfellsbakarí [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Mosfellsbakarí
Address: Háaleitisbraut 58-60, Reykjavik 
Website: http://mosfellsbakari.is/
Style: Icelandic 
Price: $$ 

It's getting increasingly difficult to find new bakeries to visit on my return trips to Reykjavik. I've done them all! This year, I was planning on doing a bit of a tour of the outlying towns in the capital area just for the sake of bakeries (I'm so pathetic, I know), but with visiting old acquaintances, I didn't manage to find the time on my four-night stay on the way back from the Faroe Islands. Mosfellsbakarí, a few blocks east of Kringlan shopping mall, is close enough by foot to have already been done, and somehow it wasn't. All the better for me, I say. :P

Poppy seed buns... *-*
While this bakery operates mainly from Mosfellsbær, a 'suburb' of Reykjavik and the reason behind their name, this lovely location a little off the downtown core is definitely worth checking out for their pretty, old-world feel and the large selection of delicious-looking baked goods, pastries, cakes, and breads -- they even make chocolate. Unlike most Icelandic bakeries which seem a bit cold and commercial with their simplicity, you can almost tell by looking at the place that the baked goods are going to be good -- and the prices are reasonable at that!

It was, I have to say, a hard choice. Should I take something with flaky Danish dough? Should I go all-out and try some cake? And then, I was lured in. I knew I would be. The Icelandic poppy seed bun (295kr). Not everyone has them, but when they do, I am so there! *-* This tantalizing bun was big, freshly baked, and has a delicious soft, slightly airy moist dough rolled with whole poppy seeds and then drizzled with both vanilla and chocolate icing. The rock sugar sprinkled on top wasn't needed, but it was a nice touch. Mmmm.... so good! This was an excellent poppy seed bun and certainly up there for one of my top bakery experiences in Iceland.

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment