Full of Happiness Bakery [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Full of Happiness Bakery (행복이가득한빵집)
Address: 474-9 Jungang-dong, Sokcho-si, Gangwon-do
Website: n/a 
Style: Korean
Price: $

The lone bakery in Sokcho market (and perhaps all of downtown Sokcho, since I was unable to locate any more either in person or online), "Full of Happiness" - my translation - Bakery is a simple, old-school Korean bakery that serves all the classics, plastic bags and all. Sandwiched between the vegetable stand and a kimchi stall, it may not have the refined, artisan look of a big city bakery, but sometimes you feeling like going back to the roots. The selection wasn't big and the area where the trays are supposed to be laid out was looking a bit empty, so I'm not sure if things were sold out or is that it, but there were several types of bread and buns, both sweet and standard, bagged cookies and packets of chocolate glazed cake doughnuts.
Purely because I hadn't seen one of these in ages, I took the castella (1000 won). I feel like the humble castella is losing popularity... I used to see these more often and now they've kind of disappeared. Castella cakes are so good! This one was nice and fresh: fluffy, spongy and moist as it should be, with a subtle hint of lemon. A castella as it should be.

Rating: *** 

No comments:

Post a Comment