Elephant Dumpling and Snack Bar [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Elephant Dumpling and Snacks (코끼리 만두 분식) 
Address: 479-54 Jungang-dong, Gangwon-do, Sokcho-si 
Website: https://snack-bar-3700.business.site
Style: Korean, doughnuts 
Price:

Officially, or at least according to online results, the small city of Sokcho in the northeastern part of South Korea has no bakeries; I found that hard to believe, so hard to believe that I had to see it for myself... and came back with two sweet spots. The first is this snack bar in Sokcho's main market. While they are technically a restaurant serving typical cheap street food like stir-fried rice cakes, blood sausage (soondae), and fish cakes, at least on the inside, outside they have a lovely range of deep-fried goodies, including red bean doughnuts and my favourites: twist doughnuts.
So how did these fare? At 700 won/each, they're definitely a steal of a deal. I mean, how you can resist anything sweet for 700 won? Freshly fried, but far from warm, they were golden brown on the outside with a slight crunch and soft on the inside. Despite its plain exterior, I'd almost say the red bean doughnut was better. I have to say I wasn't the biggest fan of the crunchy flakes mixed in with the sugar that was rolled onto the outside of the twist. Still, while they didn't completely blow my mind like other market doughnuts, these were fresh, had good texture and crunch and... come on, squid or doughnuts - which would you rather have at a market? Thought so.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment