Ashcroft Bakery

Bakery: Ashcroft Bakery and Coffee Shop
Address: 151 3rd St, Ashcroft BC
Website: n/a 
Style: Canadian 
Price: $$ 

Let this year's big bakery road trip begin! The first stop was Ashcroft, a small-town country bakery that I got to at lunchtime. Given all this online mention of great baked goods, I think I was expecting a lot more than there actually was in-store. In complete honesty, I found the bakery disappointingly empty; I even had to wait several minutes after deciding what I wanted for a worker to show up. Yup, it was so empty, everyone had already gone home.
Fortunately, with the exception of a few squares and cookies that *were* there, it wasn't completely cleaned out and I was able to nab a danish ($2.99). To my dismay, it was thrown into a paper bag and handed over. I think the damage had already been done. :( Perhaps it was a matter of the danish's flat, pancake shape or the excessively jelly-like consistency of both the fruit glaze and custard bed underneath that it made it impossible for the danish to stay intact? Regardless, it was a bit of a mess. The fruit was all over the place; there were too many "wet" ingredients for the danish, resulting in a dough that got a bit soggy in places and was simply too thin to appreciate. I liked the taste: the dough actually had good flavour, I liked the fresh raspberries and cherries on top with the custard. It just needed some work.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment