Boulangerie Riche [Mimi's World Tour]

 Bakery: Boulangerie Riche 
Address: 5 Tsunofuricho, Nara
Website: facebook
Style: Japanese
Price: $$ 

My next bakery in Nara, Boulangerie Riche, like the nice amount of bakeries in the city, is a fully-stocked bakery offering fairly affordable prices and a nice selection of both Japanese-style buns and pastries along with a few more pricey more "European" pastries and tarts. These consist of both sweet and savoury, and in some way, I was disappointed at how many were actually savoury. Still, the sweet picks are plenty and look so appetizing that I was so torn between what to take that I just grabbed two. Of course, in that decision, I opted for two cheaper items instead of one more expensive one.
The first thing I grabbed was the twist doughnut (80 yen). Dusted in very fine, almost powdered sugar, I'd say that it was nonetheless more a sweet bun than what I'd normally call a doughnut. That's not necessarily a bad thing, especially when biting into or tearing apart the soft, slightly spongy dough. Not too sweet, far from oily or dry, and a pretty generous size for the price... a nice, bang-for-your-buck treat. ^^
And just as nice was the cream bun (140 yen). The same soft and spongy dough in a sort of pocket shape with simple cream filling. On top, it was just a bit of sugary crumble... nothing too fancy, but good texture and delicious cream. One of my best finds in Nara.

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment