Wolfe Island Bakery [RIP]

Bakery: Wolfe Island Bakery & Restaurant
Address: 311 Queen St, Kingston ON 
Website: http://www.wolfeislandbakery.com/
Style: Canadian
Price: $$ 

Not sure if the original location on Wolfe Island is still around, but the one is Kingston is gone. One less bakery in the city....

I can't believe I never thought of this before; really, it's almost unthinkable and so stupid of me, but on a recent trip to Montreal, it dawned on me that I should be doing Cake Tours along the way. Of course, in the past several years, I'd taken the bus/train, thus making en route Cake Touring impossible, but this time, it was by car and it is by car that the most bakeries get done. :)

Kingston. This is surprisingly not only my first bakery in Kingston, but also my first real time seeing the city -- and I mean actually seeing it, not the train/bus station or the plethora of fast food places on Division St. For such a sprawling place, there really aren't that many bakeries! I mean, Kingston is not that small, but there seem to be few bakery options (at least when you search online)?!?
Because they claim to have Kingston's best butter tart, this was something I had to see for myself. Specifically the pecan variety. (around $2.25; I paid $4.55 for two items with tax; there are no prices listed, only select items are labelled) There always two components to a successful tart: the shell and the filling. The shell was Wolfe Island's downfall: it was simply too thick, resembling more a pie bowl. It was hard and overpowering; the tart on the whole was doughy. Curiously enough the tarts on their website photo aren't nearly as fat. The filling was also too hard; even when it's not supposed to be runny, there should be a certain softness to it. This was too dense. Alright on its own, but with the thick shell, it was slightly disappointing.
Same for the cinnamon bun. It was less grown and fluffy than your usual varieties. It softened up and got more gooey when heated and had a nice drizzle of icing over the top, which was nice. Perhaps slightly too flat since it exposed and dried up the cinnamon parts. Stuffing that all into your mouth, the taste was pretty good, but not the best.

All in all, Wolfe Island was okay; the baked goods were tasty, but at the same time nothing stellar. A safe bet in the fairly arid Kingston bakery-desert. :P

Rating: **1/2    

No comments:

Post a Comment