Danish Home Bakery [International Correspondent]


Bakery: Danish Home Bakery
Address: 1155 101 St., North Battleford SK
Website: n/a
Style: Canadian
Price: $

Amazing cream cheese icing!
I thought it weird/funny that, of all places, North Battleford is home to two "Scandinavian" bakeries down the street from each other: Danish Home Bakery and Skandinavian (sic) Home Bakery. The second looked closed and it was only when we were driving away that I saw someone go in, so it was open after all. Oops. [editor's note: I hate everyone. ;__;] We did go to one, though.

Danish Home Bakery is pretty much Danish in name only. I have to say I was getting pretty excited myself about Danish baked goods, but I can't say I was surprised to find more Canadian classics such as cookies, brownies, and those other danishes. You know, the usual bakery stuff. Cream horns and florentines are probably the most "unusual" of the bunch. They had a quite a bit of gluten-free stuff too, though nothing that looked worth trying if you're not gluten intolerant.

This was good too...
The cinnamon buns, though, were amazing. I love cinnamon buns with cream cheese icing; this is my favourite type and I consider myself a cinnamon bun connoisseur. When I saw the huge layer of thick yet fluffy icing, I knew I had to have this bun. Amazing.

We also got a chocolate-dipped florentine (is that right?), which was also pretty good. Good crunch, liked the chocolate on one side, and I liked the nuttiness and caramel crunch-like texture and taste to it.

I have to say this bakery was a highlight of the trip, even if it wasn't exactly "Danish". At the end of it all, rural Saskatchewan (well, none of the towns were that big) probably had some of the best bakeries on this trip.

Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment