Pain Perdu

Bakery: Pain Perdu 
Address: 736 St Clair Ave W, Toronto ON 
Website: n/a
Style: French
Price: $$ 

Several weeks ago, I was once again on St Clair Ave, to try out some other bakeries in this bakery hot spot. The first time I was here, I actually walked past this petite bakery and light lunch spot without noticing it was a bakery. It was only when I was returning on the opposite side of the street that I realized "hey, there was a patisserie there!?!?"

My affinity for French baking made this is a must-visit this time around, although the "boulanger" is perhaps more fitting on the outside than "patissier"; in truth, Pain Perdu specializes in rustic breads and even their baked goods focus more on viennoiseries, variations involving flaky French dough, than, say, tarts and tortes. If you are fond of French dough, you'll find your typical croissants and pains au chocolat along with more unique items stuffed with raisins or sweet cheese.

Cinnamon + buttery dough = yummy combination
A fan of French dough, but not a fan of raisins (hey, just being honest ;D) I was intrigued by their take on the cinnamon bun ($3.15). I love cinnamon buns; they can range from gooey to doughy, but a cinnamon bun done right is a good thing. :) This one, I admit, smelled like burnt toast... or 'browned' toast if putting it nicely. This was a little concerning, but unravelling this cinnamon spiral gave me a multi-layered, chewy dough with a flaky outside and soft inside, rolled not too overwhelmingly with cinnamon. Oh, and that delicious buttery flavour! *-* Once in the middle, where it was at its softest and most cinnamon-y, I found that I actually preferred the browned outer edges; it was there that that delicious flaky French dough was at its best.

Overall, a great spot for rustic French baked goods (as opposed to fancy creations); a wee bit too toasted, in my humble opinion, but tasty nonetheless. ^.^

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment