Nougat Bakery

Bakery:  Nougat Bakery and Delicatessen 
Address: 600 Queen St S, Kitchener ON 
Website: n/a
Style: Polish, German 
Price: $$ 

I tried Nougat while at the St Jacob's Farmers Market one Saturday (at which I got so many baked goods, I couldn't even cover everything! *-*); they have a booth in the secondary, smaller hall and while they have a selection of German baking classics, such as Bienenstich, the undeniable look of poppy seed buns, walnut rolls and almond rolls gave this away as being Polish. Not that that's a bad thing, especially when their poppy seed baked goods (always the most important :p) do look of better quality and higher poppy seed content than usual. I mean, just look at that fantastic glaze and pretty folding. :)

Mmm... poppy seed...
Having already enough yeast baked goods (cinnamon buns, another poppy seed strudel...), I opted instead for the poppy seed bun. Some items were priced and some were not. The poppy seed roll was $4 and I thought that the bun could not be too expensive given the cost of the slab. As such, I found $2.50 a little too much in sheer comparison... until I ate it. :D Mmm... followed by a not-so stellar poppy seed strudel, this was amazing and I could have easily traded in that aforementioned strudel for a bunch of these buns. Fantastic, slightly atypical poppy seed filling that fit somewhere between the usual Polish and German mass. Delicious icing poured generously on top and soft, tasty dough in between. Mmmm.... so good!

St Jacob's is already home of superb cinnamon buns and apple fritters, so adding Nougat into that means needing to come with a full wallet and an empty stomach. ;D

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment