Rocky Mountain Pizza and Bakery






Bakery: Rocky Mountain Pizza and Bakery 
Address: 4471 Marine Ave, Powell River BC 
Website: facebook 
Style: Canadian 
Price: $$$

This shows up both as the only bakery in Powell River and as being listed as a "pizza restaurant". I was pleased about the former, but admittedly a bit concerned about the latter. After all, I wanted to review a bakery, but a pizza place that happens to consider themselves a bakery. Most fortunately - and a total relief for me - Rocky Mountain is a bakery; probably more an actual bakery than pizza restaurant. While they do have both foccacia-like pizza slices in the bakery area and a menu available for eating in or take-out, there is still quite the bakery selection of bread and sweet and savoury baked goods. These include classics like cinnamon buns, danishes, coffee cake slices and some squares. I did find it frustrating that so little was labelled or priced, especially when some prices (especially for any pizza-related items) were on the steeper side.
Not wanting to always revert to the usual cinnamon bun, I decided to try their raspberry danish ($4.00). After having had a hard time to pick out what I wanted and waiting quite a bit for anyone to notice I wanted anything, I'll admit I didn't start off the sampling with the brightest attitude. Add to that the fact I thought it a bit expensive, especially since it's neither a bakery nor pizza joint but something somewhere in between, and I noticed it was more custard than raspberry, though it was nice to see some fresh fruit on top and none of that indistinct, red-coloured gloop you still find in some places...

Nonetheless, I bit into the danish and found it... really good. I liked the flaky, yet "meaty" dough, the tartness of the raspberries and smattering of icing her and there. Yes, even the pudding was a nice addition, though in my opinion there was far too much of it. For a pizza restaurant, it really was good! ;)

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment