Chestnut Springs Organics Bakery

 Bakery: Chestnut Springs Organics Bakery
Address: 42300 Yarrow Rd, Chilliwack BC 
Website: https://chestnutsprings.ca/
Style: Canadian, Organic 
Price: $$-$$$ 

Deciding to fly out of Abbotsford airport, I was looking for a place to spend the night in or around Abbotsford so the drive wouldn't be too big the day of. Not at all a fan of big chain hotels on the side of the highway, I stumbled across the Chestnut Springs Cottage on Airbnb. Having never been to or driven through the small town of Yarrow (officially a part of Chilliwack), I thought it would be a great opportunity... well, okay, the main thing that attracted me was the fact that with every stay you got a gift certificate for breakfast at the bakery next door. That bakery is Chestnut Springs Organics Bakery. 

Truly a chance not to be missed, I was not only outfitted with a $30 (!!!) gift certificate, but upon entering the cottage, I was greeted with a whole bag of peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. A part of me sorely wished I could... trade it with another flavour at the bakery, seeing as I'm not a fan of peanut butter anything, but the thought was a super nice one. And the cookies were actually quite taste, with a nice texture and complexity that made the peanut butter a little less obvious. Also not pictured was the fruity and flavourful raspberry muffin.

The following morning, I went equipped with my gift certificate and came out with breakfast for two, an extra treat and some leftover cash for next time. ^^ The bakery itself is small, yet surprisingly very busy with most people ordering drinks and the small counter area selling bread, baked goods, select desserts and ready-made sandwiches - and it's organic, which is nice!
The cinnamon buns weren't ready yet, which would have been my first pick, so I settled for the almond tart ($4.50). A nice slightly flaky, dense shortbread crust with a few slices of jellied apples and slivered almonds on top with a dense and chewy almond mass on the inside. Very good.
I also decided to try the lemon loaf ($4.00-4.50; price not listed). This was a moist and spongy pound cake with just the right amount of icing on top and a nice, not overly sweet lemony taste with every bite. Simple, yet very good -- which can be said with all the baked goods tried.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment