Perks Donuts

Bakery: Perks Donuts 
Address: 1100 Homewood Rd, Campbell River BC
Website: facebook 
Style: Doughnuts, Canadian 
Price: $-$$ 

If you follow this blog a bit more closely, you'll realize that I'm a big sucker for doughnuts and so, when coming across Perks Donuts on online searches for a bakery, it really is no surprise that I had to include this among the small list of bakeries I did in Campbell River. Taking all this into account, I was a little disconcerted to find upon driving into the plaza that Perks Donuts is really called Perks Restaurant and that it was advertising more their hamburgers, breakfasts and sandwiches than any kind of doughnuts. Thus, it can be said Perks is one of these doughnut dives; found throughout the country, they do sell doughnuts, but these doughnuts have taken a back seat to their hot food.

As such, I was pretty reluctant going in... I didn't want a burger. I didn't want to wait to be seated. I just wanted a doughnut! Luckily for me, Perks does have a legitimate bakery counter that's not only filled with a pretty decent variety of doughnuts, but also a few other baked goods such as scones, muffins and cinnamon buns, I believe. Most doughnuts were of the cake variety with glaze on top.
Of course I went for the doughnut. The raspberry jelly, to be exact. ($1.35) Looking a bit like it had been flattened, though it was simply how it had turned out, this was nonetheless a very good classic doughnut. Fluffy yeast dough that tasted undeniably fresh, not too much jelly in the middle and an equally fresh glaze on top that had that perfect crackle when biting into it. Don't let the hamburgers and sandwiches fool you -- this place has some good doughnuts!

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment