Angus Bakery [RIP]

Bakery: Angus Bakery
Address: 3636 W Broadway, Vancouver BC
Website: facebook
Style: Canadian, European
Price: $$ 

I love it when I just happen to stumble upon a bakery I wasn't expecting! This was the case with Angus Bakery which seemed to just pop up while I wasn't exactly on the bakery prowl, but a bakery is a bakery and I quickly swooped down to check it out. ^^

Angus Bakery is a bakery that is very proud of what they stand for, so proud they advertise it outside on a cluttered board that includes their star features: 100% rye bread, danishes and home-made pastries and sandwiches. I liked that. Inside, everything sweet is pretty much confined to two display cases  by the counter; this includes a selection of buttery pastries. Service is friendly and you have the feeling you're a regular even if it's your first time.
Not wanting to go with the more standard baked goods available, I chose the almond danish (around $2.75; there are no prices listed and I don't quite remember the exact amount I paid). This was a double-8 shaped danish with rich, flavourful dough rolled with almond mass and slivered almonds sprinkled on top of drizzles of icing that seemed to melt remarkably quickly. Good, quality taste, but I would have liked for the dough to have had a bit of crunch to it on the outside; as it was, I found it a little too soft. Maybe it was the combination of icing and egg wash for that glossy top? Not sure. A good tasty choice with the potential to be excellent.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment