Garden City Bakery

Bakery: Garden City Bakery
Address: 360-9100 Blundell Rd, Richmond BC
Website: facebook
Style: Canadian, Jewish, European
Price: $


I was in the area and was wondering if I could add another Richmond bakery to my list. Garden City came up and I simply made a note of the intersection, but little did I know that this seems to be the destination for well-priced poppy seed baked goods! I'm sure I would have been far more excited about this bakery had I simply read a couple reviews before coming here, but there I was, totally unprepared for the treat that greeted me!

No offence, but stepping inside this thoroughly unassuming, no-frills plaza bakery, you certainly wouldn't expect to find trays of chocolate and poppy seed baked goods along with a few other Jewish bakery staples in addition to more standard items like brownies, turnovers and carrot cake. Without a doubt, the former looks more appealing, and it certainly is a unique find.  Both the items with and without labels are very reasonably priced.
Of course, I had to try Garden City's poppy seed danish ($2, tax included). There's not much to this simple spiral but the amount of delicious poppy seed mass is definitely worth noting. Mmm... soft, semi-flaky dough, tons of poppy seed -- this really must be one of the best poppy seed baked goods in Metro Vancouver, if not the best!
Another unexpected hit was the chocolate croissant ($2 with tax). I was worried that there wouldn't be much chocolate in it, since the outside looked a little dry, but again, appearances were deceiving and this was a sweet, gooey, and decadent treat. Wow. Garden City quickly rose to my top bakery picks.

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment