Sutherland's Bakery

Bakery: Sutherland's Bakery
Address: 1701 George St, Enderby BC
Website: n/a
Style: Canadian 
Price:

Sometimes things seem to go against you when you're out hunting for bakeries. I had two in nearby Armstrong: one was inexplicably closed and another simply could not be found, even after circling the street a few times. Had it closed down? Was it an outdated listing? Nevertheless, the next one on my list was Sutherland's Bakery, the only one in the small town of Enderby. Driving by, I discovered it was actually inside a gas station. The two together certainly didn't whet my appetite. I pictured pre-packaged factory cream cakes and everything either boxed or sealed in plastic baggies. I mean, that's usually what you find at the "baked good" counter at gas stations; I was so sure it would be a disappointment that I was reluctant to give it a try.

Finally, I did, and to my surprise, I found one corner of your typical gas station convenience store transformed into a sort of a deli with a cold cuts and cheese counter with loaves of bread lining metal racks and two display cases of treats, not to mention styrofoam trays of cookies and other treats. I couldn't believe it. With fantastic prices, the only thing was that the doughnut half of the display case had been cleaned out except for one or two stray ones. Judging by the stacks of doughnut boxes behind the counter ready to be filled, I'm guessing this is their specialty.
 Disappointed nothing was really left, but intent on trying one, I took the maple doughnut ($1.39). According to Wikipedia, the maple bar/long john is a Western Canadian regional doughnut. Um, okay? (The same article claims that Canadian variations of the doughnut include Timbits, so...) Whatever it is and is not, this was one good doughnut. Thick maple glaze on top that crackles ever so slightly and yet holds its shape. Perfectly fried dough, golden brown on the outside, fluffy on the inside with a nice amount of flavourful glaze with each bite. Delicious!
Out of curiosity, I also grabbed an eccles cake ($1.79). It's been a while since I've had one. This was a flatter variety, almost like a big, slightly puffy cookie with flaky dough and a sugary top. Inside, I found the filling too mushy and indistinct. I like when you can tell what is what; this was just a brown mass, and in parts, there wasn't enough compared to the dough and it turned brittle. Good in taste, but not at the same level as the doughnut above.

In short: don't let the whole gas station convenience store stop you -- I for one am happy and satisfied I went for it!

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment