Marvelous Munchies Bakeshop

Bakery: Marvelous Munchies Bakeshop
Address: 7383 A 2nd St, Grand Forks BC 
Website: facebook 
Style: Canadian 
Price: $$

NOTE: This bakery has moved downtown! Please take note of the address above. ;)

The first time I drove through Grand Forks, this bakery wasn't open yet. Given the fact that I wasn't that early (well, it was a special circumstance since otherwise I could still be getting out of bed myself), this was pretty unusual; sure, I'm often too late for a bakery, but I can't remember the last time I was too early. Nonetheless, Marvelous [sic] Munchies is a bit off the main road and may not look like much from the outside, but inside it features a pretty nice selection of classic baked goods with a definite focus on doughnuts, with most of the display case devoted to them, and cookies taking second place. In addition to this, there are some sort of danishes, classics like butter tarts, scones, and I believe cinnamon buns. There was, suffice to say, lots to choose from.
One of my favourite "doughnut" varieties (or is it a baked good in itself? a deep question indeed) is the apple fritter and I'm always eager to try them, especially when they come fried golden brown and glazed -- as did the one from this bakery ($2.25 each). Chunky and golden with plenty of grooves for the glaze to get in and that slightly crispy outside and soft inside that's a sign of peak freshness, this was one good apple fritter. Really good.

It was certainly worth making a return trip to see if this place was open!

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment