Fous Desserts

Bakery: Fous Desserts 
Address: 809 ave Laurier E, Montreal QC 
Website: http://www.fousdesserts.com/accueil.html
Style: French 
Price: $$$-$$$$ 

I've been in on the Montreal baking scene for awhile now, so the name Fous Desserts isn't unfamiliar to me; I've heard it mentioned here and there, always in the most positive light, but I never really got the chance to try it out myself. Until now, that is.

Fous Desserts is part-chocolate shop and part-patisserie with limited selection and a focus on chocolates and elaborate pastries. The store isn't that small, and yet you have a feeling that not that much is really for sale. There is the chocolate counter on the left, right when you enter and then pastries and baked goods on the right, down the wall. Appearance-wise, it doesn't scream upscale and yet Fous Desserts is pricey; actually, it's one of the priciest patisseries I've encountered in Montreal and I've been to fancier ones or ones in generally overpriced Old Town. I was a bit surprised and somewhat at a loss as to what to take. The tortes and pastries were out of the question; they would come in at nearly $10 with tax for an individual one! The baked goods were limited to three wooden bins: one for croissants, one for croissants aux amandes and the third a hodgepodge maybe three or four chocolate baked goods in addition to the classic chausson aux pommes. My favourite, the chausson aux pommes, was over $4. Quite frankly, it was too much.
So I somewhat begrudgingly decided to go with the almond croissant ($4 + tax); after all, this Montreal trip seemed to be dedicated to this traditional baked good and I had to give this one a try. With a golden brown croissant still retaining its plump shape and smothered in slivered almonds, I'll admit it did look promising. One bite and I got that crunch, that flaky texture, decadent almond filling, and rich buttery taste. Darn it, this croissant aux amandes took the gold medal -- it was the best one of the trip; actually, it might be the best one in Montreal! The moral of the story is: yes, in this case, you do indeed get what you pay for.

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment