Shuswap Pie Co.

Bakery: Shuswap Pie Co.
Address: 331 Alexander St NE, Salmon Arm BC
Website: http://www.shuswappiecompany.ca/home
Style: Pie, Canadian
Price: $$

I love putting new towns on the cake tour map and it's a really great feeling knowing how impressive my BC leg of bakeries is coming along. Yay! ^^

There are two bakeries in downtown Salmon Arm and both operate as cafes as well. The first of the two, Shuswap Pie Co., is certainly the busier of the two. As the name indicates, these guys specialize in pies. They're available whole fresh or frozen, or as individual pies, or racks of fresh baked pies are sold a single slices. They come in sweet and savoury and a chalkboard behind the counter reveal an impressive ten or so flavours, from classic/traditional varieties to more unique combinations. Besides that, they do sell a few other baked goods like cinnamon buns. Not much, however. Without a doubt, the focus here is on pies.
Saying that, I was actually debating between the cinnamon bun and a slice of pie, simply because I always get so frustrated with generic pie in cookie-cutter crust and canned filling, even in "pie places". I did opt for the pie in the end, especially since it's not often they're sold by slice. I'm glad I did. :)

I went with the raspberry rhubarb  ($4), which was an unusual pairing; it's always strawberry rhubarb. This worked in my favour. I love raspberry and I love rhubarb, and with big chunks of rhubarb, plenty of raspberries and a bit of tanginess from both fruits, the filling was very good. As was the flaky, golden brown crust. Now that was a tasty slice of pie!

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment