St John's Bakery

Bakery: St John's Bakery
Address: 153 Broadview Ave, Toronto ON
Website: http://stjohnsbakery.com/
Style: Canadian
Price: $$-$$$ 

The premise behind St. John's Bakery is a great one: run by a mission of the same name, this not-for-profit business creates employment opportunities while at the same time pumping out rustic organic breads and "baked goods". So, why the quotation marks? In a sense, I have always been reluctant to try this place out, because I was always under the impression that it was one of these bread-only bakeries. This is more or less true; their focus is bread. The vast majority of their assortment is bread with sweeter items relegated to three items: banana bread, scones, and ginger cookies. At the time of purchase, the first two were completely sold out and only the ginger cookies remained (though not that many).
A fan of ginger cookies (they must be the only cookie I genuinely love eating), I was looking forward to trying St John's version. These are sold individually for around $1.30 or $6 for a pack of six. With chunks of ginger in the dark brown dough and a sprinkling of sugar on top, these looked like they would do the job. However, biting into it, I was a little disappointed to find the texture wasn't as I liked it; I think ginger cookies should be chewy and these were soft and crumbly, nearly melting in your mouth. Delicious ginger taste, but I need my ginger cookies chewy. :p

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment