Belleville Bakery

Bakery: Belleville Bakery
Address: 300 Bell Blvd, Belleville ON 
Website: http://www.bellevillebakery.com/
Style: Canadian 
Price: $$ 

Yes, we've put Belleville on the map! :) Belleville Bakery has been on my bakery radar for maybe two years now, but it never seems to work out. Until now. Granted, I've always been a little skeptical given the fact that the big red sign in one corner of an industrial plaza makes them look like a counterfeit Buns Master bakery, which is certainly not the best association to have. Stepping inside, it does indeed seem like a rather large-scale production with people working in the back and no front-counter staff on hand; you need to ring the bell for someone to come from the baking area. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find they have a large selection of classic baked goods like various sweet buns, danishes, cookies, cakes, etc. that at first glance look pretty good and turned out tasting even better.
 I went for the carrot cake and then spotted afterwards that they had rum balls as well. Usually, I like that rustic feel with my carrot cakes. I don't like when it gets turned into some sort of torte and the simple spice cake feel is ruined, so at first I was concerned the cupcake-form and swirl of icing on top would fall into the latter category. Taking my first bite, I found it really good. Really good. The dough was nicely spiced with the right amount of carrots (too little is always the problem) and then the icing was super smooth and tasty. I'll admit that the orange sprinkles that were leaking on top weren't needed at all, but the walnut chunks were a nice addition.
Along with the dense, chocolatey (rummy) rum ball which I also enjoyed, this was a delicious and worthwhile stop on on an already fruitful trip to nearby Prince Edward County (yes, more cake tours are coming~!) -- it may be Buns Master on the outside, but it's as far as you can get on the inside! ;)

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment