Bobbette & Belle

Bakery: Bobbette & Belle
Address: 1121 Queen St E, Toronto ON
Website: http://bobbetteandbelle.com/
Style: French, European 
Price: $$$ 

I've often heard of Bobbette & Belle in the media and was always wondering if it was worth all that hype, especially given the selection of good, higher-end pastry shops and bakeries in the city. I suppose this was my chance to finally give this fancy patisserie a try and judge for myself.

I have to confess that I found Bobbette & Belle more chic and perhaps more "French" in appearance than in substance. Upon examining the goods, I would almost label it as hodgepodge with, yes, a selection of classic French pastries (croissants, macarons were the two that stood out), some Canadian baked goods (including the most expensive butter tart I've seen) and cupcakes. In some ways, it was difficult to pick out one item; some were downright not worth it and others, like the cupcakes, weren't that attractive an option.
 In the end, I opted for the French chocolate cake (around 4.75). A French chocolate cake, as indicated in store, is a cake traditionally baked without wheat flour, similar in this sense to the colourful macaron. I've seen this cake in a few other places and have been interested in trying it, especially since the French can do no wrong when it comes to baking. :P Disregarding the fact that the cake slice cracked in half in the box and made quite the mess, it was a nicely sized piece. Biting into it, I found it very chocolatey; it was sprinkled with quality cocoa on top and the dough was moist, kind of wet in texture, and very dense. Besides the initial melt-in-your-mouth sensation, it reminded me of a brownie. A better-quality brownie, to be sure, but a brownie nonetheless. Not quite what I was expecting.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment