Sunflower Bakery

Bakery: Sunflower Bakery
Address: 38086 Cleveland Ave, Squamish BC
Website: http://www.sunflowerbakerycafe.com/
Style: Canadian
Price: $$ 

The bakery in downtown Squamish (Squamish does have more than one bakery, but cold weather and just weird town planning made getting a second one done without a car impossible :/), Sunflower bakery and cafe with a special focus on healthy and wholesome baking, especially in terms of their breads. However, they have a nice selection of simple, classic baked goods like cinnamon buns, squares, brownies, pies and cakes and healthier alternatives as well (including more homemade granola). It was one of those bakeries where I was at a loss as to what to get: I'm always a lover of cinnamon buns and date squares... or should I take something else?
In the end, still somewhat disappointed with the previous Nanaimo bar I had had in Victoria, I decided to give Sunflower's take on the classic square a try. Being December, this unique variety was the Egg Nog Nanaimo bar ($3.33 with tax)... or at least, that was what the label said. When ordering it, the worker had no idea what I was talking about and I had to point and say the white one. A bit confusing... hey, I didn't name the thing. O.o

Anyways, this was a "Nanaimo" bar consisting of a thick white chocolate top, a thick layer of cream with just a hint of egg nog, and then a dense brownie bottom with chunks of nuts and coconuts. By far, the brownie bottom was the highlight of this square: it tasted like a "healthier" brownie. Really chunky and nutty; very good. The first bite of the bar as a whole, I thought that it was pretty good. Lots of cream and a tasty top, but after five bites, I began to realize why my mom used to say Nanaimo bars were so unhealthy. For one person, the size of the bar was a bit overwhelming. This was like licking the bowl of icing... I felt guilty, a bit sick. Maybe I would stick to the healthier options next time... .____.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment