Peaked Pies

Bakery: Peaked Pies
Address: 4369 Main St #105, Whistler BC 
Website: http://www.peakedpies.com/
Style: Australian 
Price: $$-$$$ 

My next trip to an Australian bakery just so happened to be in Whistler, though these guys do have a newly opened second location in Vancouver's West End. Nevertheless, Peaked Pies is tucked into a row of smaller shops off the main pedestrian streets (ironically, on Main St) and is a fairly compact bakery featuring a small display case right upon entering and little more than that. As with any other Australian/New Zealand bakery, the pies in question are meat pies, available in about a dozen varieties, and you have the option of having them "peaked": topped with mashed potatoes and gravy -- the sweet snow capped version involves whipped cream. The selection of sweets is, however, limited -- like always. My good friends, the Lamingtons, were there along with some cookies, but I wasn't really in a Lamington mood. Unlike other places, this place actually had two, or maybe three, sweet pies, so I thought I would finally attempt an actual (non-meat) pie.
So at last, I had myself a pie, a semi-real pie for the sampling: mine was a mixed berry ($6.75). A flaky, browned shell -- really quite tasty for a pie shell -- sprinkled with a bit of sugar. Simple, but promising. Cutting it open and heating it up in the microwave, I was greeted with more apple than berries. The sauce was a dark pink, but it was difficult to distinguish what the mixed berries entailed... it was even more difficult taste-wise, since the apples had the strongest flavour. Given there was a $1 or so price difference between the berry and apple pie, I don't think it was worth it. Not to mention that I thought $7 for an individual pie (with no meat in it) a little steep... maybe I should have gone with the good old Lamington, after all.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment