Baguette & Co.

Bakery: Baguette & Co. 
Address: 1102 Davie St, Vancouver BC
Website: http://www.baguetteandco.ca/
Style: French 
Price: $$-$$$ 

It seems like Vancouver is a (authentic) French bakery hotspot and here is the next (and last ;__;) on my list, at least for this trip. Baguette & Co. has two locations in Vancouver, one in the West End and the other in Kitsilano, on W 4th. I went to the Davie location at around 6 pm to buy something for my flight and found it pretty barren in terms of baked goods (despite being open for another 3 hours); however, out of all French patisseries visited, they had the most selection of "universal" baked goods, like muffins and cookies, but of course they also had plenty of classic French cakes, which was pretty well stocked: millefeuille, Paris brest, several flavours of macarons, lemon tarts were among the most memorable. Most items were labelled and priced.

Not quite sure what to get, I decided on the pistachio danish. The price was a little (too) high at $4.25 (especially comparing it to other bakeries), but I ended up paying $3.60 with tax. Why, I have no idea, but I'm not complaining~! ;) Maybe it was some sort of "Happy Hour" promotion like the one I spotted on their Facebook page?
This was a generous spiral of French dough with pieces of pistachio crumbled on top and then coated with a very light glaze. Unlike the other pistachio danish I had had lately, the nuts were pretty much all you saw on top. There wasn't all that much on the inside. The dough was also not as flaky or buttery as I would have liked it; it was airier and softer, reminding me more of "generic" danish dough than a French baked good. Not the greatest, but a pretty good bakery (and I think the only French one) in the West End.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment