Purebread

Bakery: Purebread
Address: 4174 Village Stroll, Whistler BC
Website: https://www.purebread.ca/
Style: Canadian 
Price: $$-$$$ 

Yes, I brought the Cake Tour to Whistler as well! At least, for a few hours, but in those few freezing hours, I managed to do two bakeries. :) Purebread, the first, is located on the Olympic Plaza and offers you a view of the snow machine blowing fake snow into kids' faces. Inside, it's a heaping, L-shaped spread of all kinds of more homey baked goods; this location (there are two more: one in Whistler Creek and another in Vancouver) gets a lot of traffic and it shows. Cakes, cookies, squares -- all in countless varieties. It's beautiful and at the same time overwhelming: do you take the brandy blondie, or the cruffin? Which slice of loaf cake will it be? And given its location, I admit I was expecting more exorbitant prices, but it's not that bad. Some items are up there, yes, and perhaps not quite bang-for-your-buck, but you can get a tasty treat for around $3-4.  No wincing necessary. ;)
Nevertheless, after a great amount of deliberation, I decided on the "Sticky Ginger Loaf" ($4), which was recommended to me by one of the workers. I love spice cake and it was one of the items I was hotly contesting anyways, so I went with it. This was a not very photogenic slab of simple loaf cake with a thick layer of icing on top. The cake itself was nicely spiced, though perhaps it wasn't as "sticky" and gingery as I imagined it. The occasional chunk of candied ginger was a nice, flavourful touch, but I wanted more ginger and fragrant spice. The icing, similar to that on a carrot cake, was slightly sour, presumably from the cheese, with pieces of ginger on top as a garnish. This was pretty tasty, but there was way too much of it. Eating it with the cake, it was overwhelming, especially since it's positioned on the plate in such a way that you can't get a whole big piece of dough. Too sweet, and taking away from the subtle flavours of the spice cake, I have to say I wasn't the biggest fan. I would probably take something else next time.

Still, it's great to have a simple bakery amidst the food chains and ski shops of touristy Whistler. ^^

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment