My Zaidy's Bakery

Bakery: My Zaidy's Bakery 
Address: 7241 Bathurst St, Thornhill ON 
Website: facebook 
Style: Jewish 
Price: $-$$ 

I've been in a terrible doughnut mood lately and nothing has come to satisfy this craving, so when a regular supplier of baked goods said he was going to be on Steeles in the Keele to Bathurst area, the first thing I ran to check was bakeries that had doughnuts. Even poppy seed came second place this time around. :P My research was proving inconclusive -- and made even more difficult by the fact that many bakeries in this neighbourhood have already been reviewed -- until I found people raving about the doughnuts from My Zaidy's, a kosher bakery on the edge of Thornhill. Their photos looked amazing and I thought this would be a good one to attempt.

Located along the Bathurst bakery strip, this is one of more intimidating ones for a casual stopper-by and the question regarding if they had doughnuts was met with blank amazement and a very puzzled "no". It was only afterwards with some vague research that I assumed that doughnuts are only eaten at certain times/on holidays... I think? Why did no one tell me that in advance!?! ;___; So, once again, there were no doughnuts... but I did get a poppy seed bun!
And what a poppy seed bun it was -- at $2.75, this was phenomenal value! Can you imagine that this bun wouldn't fit on a small plate and had to be bumped up onto a medium "lunch" plate? This was HUGE! One described it as poppy seed loaf. You can't handle this in one sitting; it'll make two portions, and those are generous portions at that. I have never seen such a gigantic poppy seed bun and that was a beautiful thing! *-* Tons of poppy seeds, delicious dough... yum!
At the same price, but smaller in size, there was also the chocolate buffalo. Rolled up like a cinnamon bun and smelling of chocolate liquor, this was loaded with chocolate chips and sooo good. Everyone who tried it loved it, which makes the lack of doughnuts downright painful now -- they would have been amazing! :(

Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment