Knapp's Donuts

Bakery: Knapp's Donuts 
Address: 500 N. Main St, Rochester MI 
Website: http://www.knappsdonuts.com/
Style: Doughnuts
Price:

I was asked, prior to one baked goods supplier's trip to Detroit, if I had reviewed that "great doughnut shop" in Rochester in previous years. And I immediately thought: wait, what great doughnut shop? O.O Just to make sure, I went through my few bakeries from Michigan and did a search in case I had improperly tagged it. Nope. Nothing. This, then, became the goal. ^^;
Knapp's is your classic doughnut shop with several varieties of old-school doughnut flavours in both old-fashioned and yeast kinds: chocolate, maple, gigantic apple fritters, sprinkles... you get the picture. They also sell Polish-style "paczki" for Fat Tuesday (there's a t-shirt to prove it), which would have been interesting to try. Not this time, however.
Instead, a box of half dozen was bought. This included a glazed twist, apple fritter, maple glaze, sugar, and chocolate -- they even threw in a couple of doughnut holes, which was very nice of them! Good customer service appreciated. :) I'm always a sucker for glazed doughnuts, and without a doubt the glazed doughnuts stole the spotlight here as well: a really nice glaze on fresh doughnuts that was just right. The apple fritter and the maple one (on top of the pile) were the best. My least favourite was the chocolate one; good chocolate top, but the doughnut itself was too dense and doughy; not the texture I had been expecting for this type.

Good, fresh doughnuts, but as to them being on best of lists, it'll take a few more trips and bakeries to determine that. I have to do things fair and square, after all. ;)

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment