Kökulist [Mimi's World Tour]






Bakery: Kökulist
Address: Fjarðargata 13-15, Hafnarfjörður (inside Fjörður shopping mall)
Website: n/a 
Style: Icelandic 
Price: $$ 

I've always been planning on a day trip to Hafnarfjörður, seeing as it's a few minutes' drive from Reykjavik (and shares the same public transit system, therefore making taking the bus cheap and easy) and only really had the chance when I had access to a rental vehicle. Well, I had actually visited the small town connected to the capital before, but for a very short time and not during bakery opening hours -- the most important, of course -- so that didn't count.
Anyways, the goal was one bakery which I had heard was very good: Vort daglegt brauð, but looking for a bathroom at what could hardly be called a mall, I found not only a small bakery inside, but the most wonderful of baked goodies in Iceland: poppy seed buns! *-* Oh boy, I could not help it. I had to have it. Of course the bakery had quite the selection of the usual culprits (danishes, cinnamon buns, etc. And, in accordance with their name, cakes!) but not every bakery has these delectable poppy seed rolls (around 350kr), this time rolled in a cinnamon bun shape with a delicious and flavourful poppy seed filling and topped with caramel icing and a smidgen of crumble. Not the ultimate best, but it's up there.

Oh yeah, it is so the same thing every year I'm back in Iceland: the bakeries with the poppy seed buns end up on top. How could they not, looking and tasting like that? Mmmmm.... I love poppy seed buns so much! *___*

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment