Bread and Butter Bakery

Bakery: Bread and Butter Bakery
Address: 1530 Bath Rd, Kingston ON 
Style: Canadian 
Price: $$

Seeing as my (currently) only bakery review from Kingston decided to close down on me, so I had to make up for it by visiting something else. Naturally. Anyways, Bread and Butter bakery is probably the first, or at least one of the first, bakery that pops up on any search for bakeries in the city, and with good reason. At first glance, these guys look like a run-of-the-mill Canadian bakery, serving buns, squares and cookies like the rest. I was therefore surprised, downright stunned to find an interesting and somewhat eclectic selection of baked goods ranging from Vietnamese sub buns, French dough treats to... mini-pulla, as in Finnish sweet bread. I swear, this has to be the only place west of Toronto that has pulla! O.O This was a surprise I had to take!
So, first of all, I took the pulla ($1.75), an individual sweet roll with the characteristic rock sugar and hint of cardamom in the dough. The texture was a little too airy, reminiscent of white bread, and it needed a little more cardamom, but it's pulla in a non-Finnish bakery. Total gem. ^^
In addition, I got these blueberry lemon buns ($2.25... or thereabouts; I didn't make notes for this trip and that was very dumb of me), which I thought unique. Rolled and iced like classic cinnamon buns, the filling was not the blueberry gloop I was very afraid of, but a homestyle jam-like filling of whole blueberries with just a hint of lemon in the generous dollop of icing. Again, dough could have been better, but tasty stuff.

Overall: my (new) current fave in Kingston! :)

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment