Sandholt







Bakery: Sandholt Reykjavik
Address: Laugavegi 36, Reykjavik
Website: They've got a Facebook page, if that counts...
Style: Icelandic, Scandinavian
Price: $$-$$$

Continuing with this year's World Tour despite promises to catch up on my Parisian excursions. (I believe not much is left and the most exciting have been upped already) ^^;; This was my second stop bakery-wise in Reykjavik and one which really thrilled me, because one of my tour books had recommended it, since the owner/baker/pastry chef/whatever the proper title may be was crowned Nordic cake champion once. I read the words "Nordic cake champion" and it was a must-visit, and one which I had been planning since well, reading that a month or two before my trip, despite pfff, the Lonely Planet visitors rank it #274 out of 274 for things to do in Reykjavik. *glares*

Sandholt is a smallish, though pretty... swank bakery in the heart of Reykjavik (okay, everything is in the heart of Reykjavik, but you get what I mean XDDD) with a small cafe in the back and the front part displaying their goodies: breads in the back and goodies, both sweet and savoury, in the glass case and behind the partition there's a second case of chocolates and the famous cakes. I went in to take my pick since everything looks delicious and found not a single thing was priced, but that the list was posted on the wall next to the cash register, in such a location as it's *very* obvious that you're checking out the prices. I started looking at everything and could only think back to the coffee shop (ha ha I should actually review it, I've got the pics for it!) in the airport and the tiny cake slice that cost $9. It wasn't a bakery or anything fancy, so in my mind, I started seeing the kronur add up and I... was a cheap coward and backed down! ;______; Instead of those delectable-looking cakes, I went for the safe option: the baked goods. Because I figured it couldn't be that much more than Kornið, and, fortunately, I was right. ^^ Now, looking back on it, I really can't believe why I didn't cave and go for the cake after all. I'm an idiot sometimes... All I know is that I will definitely return to Sandholt when I come to Iceland again (hah, look at me, acting like it's already planned already -__-) and sit down with some tea and a... slice of cake, even if it might set me back $20 or more. But I had to test the waters, so to speak. ;DDD

Nonetheless, for the brother I first asked after an interesting looking pastry, but upon asking what it was and getting the answer of cheese and ham, I picked out this sticky, nutty one (240ISK/$2) (and why is the pic so damn blurry -- arrgh!!!) which smelled a little like baklava and which I had a feeling the brother would love. And he did. Flaky pastry folded with crushed and whole nuts and then coated/partially soaked in honey.

I, on the other hand, settled for prettily braided cinnamon bun (250ISK/$2.10) which was amazing, and I think the tastiest out of the ones on my trip to Norway afterwards. The only shame is that I couldn't enjoy it properly as we were running through Reykjavik at 4am with luggage to the bus station and I was eating breakfast along the way. Not a great idea, but in between bites, it does allow for intervals of cool, crisp Icelandic air. XD Very flavourful filling with perfect, denser dough and then with a dark chocolate drizzle over top (I believe they had caramel too). Heavenly. ^^;; I love Scandinavian cinnamon buns and this was definitely worth it.

Next time, though: get the cake, Mimi!!! ;)

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment