Kornið [Mimi's World Tour]







Bakery: Kornið
Address: Lækjargata 4, Reykjavik
Website:  http://www.kornid.is
Style: Icelandic, Scandinavian
Price: $

[Note: This downtown address has closed down, but Kornið does exist in other forms in the outer Reykjavik area as well as a few spots in Reykjanes.

Having just returned (okay, a few weeks ago ;_;) from my vacation, I thought it inevitable to start up the World Tour yet again with some fresh entries. Of course, I *still* have a ton to do from Paris and more from my earlier trips, but that will all come in time. This time, I'm going in chronological order and start with my first sweets purchase. I came across Kornið (which doesn't seem to exist anywhere online, so I'm hoping my site will skyrocket to the top ;D) by accident while exploring the lovely city of Reykjavik (^^;;) for the first time. It was one of the first bakeries I encountered and seeing as I was going to be going on a bus tour for the remainder of the day, I stepped in and found the prices very reasonable. The bakery had a lot more selection in the past; while there on my latest trip, on a Tuesday morning, there were only really cinnamon buns for sale (and selling). The bakery also sells some cakes (the advertisement on top of the counter is for a strawberry or chocolate cake, or something similar), which I remember to be quite expensive, although now that I'm zooming in on the picture, are selling for 1490ISK, which is around $12. Not bad.


The brother, after seeing the menu on Icelandair, couldn't resist the kleina (170ISK /$1.40 for a plain, or, 180ISK / $1.50 dipped in chocolate) which the plane touts as being a traditional Icelandic doughnut. It's pretty much deep-fried cake dough. He really liked it, though he can't describe it to be in better terms). For the price, it's definitely one "traditional Icelandic" dish you can afford to try!!!

I, on the other hand, was contemplating and contemplating which looked the yummiest and then I spotted... the POPPY SEED bun (260ISK/$2.15). Omg, I didn't even such a thing existed! O_O I was in a state of ecstatic shock: imagine trying an Icelandic poppy seed bun. Of course, I ate it next morning for breakfast, so the photo wasn't so great and it was a tad dry (it was kept in a paper bag, which didn't help matters much), but that was my fault. Similar to my Estonian poppy seed bun, the poppy seeds were folded along with the dough instead of made into a mass and then spread with a tad bit of icing on top. The showstopper was definitely biting into this bun and finding the inside was kept soft and moist by a fairly generous bit (so generous you can taste it most distinctly) of liquor!?! Poppy seed + liquor = one great bun! (EDIT: It's only sad that poking my head upon return trips, I have never seen this again)

I'm not sure how useful this review will be, seeing as I don't know how many from here are travelling to Iceland, but hey! I can try to spur the tourism. :) Kornið was a good start to my World Tour this year though! ^^

Rating: ***

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I just wanted to say that I love your blog! You revealed to me a lot of bakeries in Toronto that I HAVE to go.
    And speaking of Scandinavian bakeries, there's a Swedish bakery in the Beaches area called Beaches Bake Shop that you should definitely check out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very happy to hear someone say that. ^-^

    And NO WAY! Is it possible I've somehow missed a Scandinavian bakery in the GTA!?! Unbelievable; I'll definitely look into it. Thank you very, very much! :)

    Thanks for the comment!!

    ReplyDelete