Le Thobors [Updated!]

Bakery: Le Thobors Cafe
Address: 627 Mount Pleasant Rd, Toronto, ON
Website: http://www.thobors.ca
Style: French
Price: $$

Get ready for this one: Best French Patisserie/Boulangerie in Toronto!! *-* This is a pretty... pompous way to start out my latest post, but I'm swearing by it. I had this. as of now, two weeks ago and I'm still savoring the yumminess that is a Thobor pastry. And this is the real deal: you know you're in a French bakery worth noting when not only the workers and owner are speaking French, but all the people sitting at the few tables and the people in front of you are francophones. This impressed me the second I walked in the door; after that, however, I was wowed exclusively by all the tasty goodies behind the glass ^^;;: danishes and cookies, macarons and individual cakes and tarts, chocolates and full-size tortes (I read on their website that their apple beignets are voted Best Doughnuts in Toronto, but I didn't see them there ;___;). I was also surprised, especially considering the neighbourhood the bakery is in, that everything was -- not cheap -- reasonably priced: tarts and cakes could be bought for under $5 (believe me, for a French bakery, this is a hard find), macarons/cookies were around $2.10 and all baked goods under $3. Not bad.

Nevertheless, I took one look and felt like I was in Paris yet again. ;D And like in Paris, I had *no* idea what to pick. Everything just looked so good!!! Ahhh, dilemma, dilemma~! I was debating between two raspberry cakes and settled on the "souffle framboise" ($4.85; pictured), because it seemed the less heavy of the two. And it was... HEAVEN!! Omg, just looking at this photo makes me want to drool. This was just SO good! I really couldn't/still can't believe a place in lacklustre Toronto would be capable of making something so delicious. With the flawless, flaky tart shell filled with pastry cream and then the unbelievably light white-chocolate souffle teamed up with fresh raspberries. Eeek, perfection! *____*

I don't go along Mount Pleasant often at all (once a year sounds like a pretty fair guess), but not only can I NOT wait to return to this place, but I'll revisit this place in better weather *just* to get more stuff from Le Thobors: definitely more cakes (though it'll be hard not to settle for this baby ;DDD), maybe some of their famous beignets, baguettes, chaussons aux pommes... pretty anything I can get my poor little hands on. ^-^ Amazing-ness!!

[NEW!] I couldn't resist the temptation of returning to this place and did so a few months ago (yup, I'm very behind with my updates) and this time stocked up on some goodies. In addition to getting the same thing as above (although it collapsed before we returned home ;-;), we also got tried out their delicious and award-winning baguettes (poppy seed) and two other baked goods: chausson aux pommes (I suppose an apple turnover would be most accurate) and, yet again, their award-winning beignets. The former (around $2.25) was flaky dough filled with the bakery's homemade apple sauce. As I was not the one to eat it, I can't say much about how it tasted, but I should let everyone know that I'm now not the only one waiting to return here. XD

The second goody we picked up were three beignets (small: around $1.10 with filling, large around $3.00? I really don't remember...), two filled with that homemade apple sauce and one with their homemade jam. They're baked plain and halved and filled to order. Other fillings include custard, hazelnut butter and... one more. ^^;; Honestly, I don't think I'll manage to do a decent enough job of explaining how delicious these are. Just now that the award they have up for the city's best doughnuts is well, VERY well deserved. This has to be Toronto's best doughnut. *-*

The four-star abides, my friends. ;DD

Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment