Savary Island Pie Company

Bakery: Savary Island Pie Company
Address: 1533 Marine Dr, West Vancouver BC 
Website: http://savaryislandpiecompany.com/
Style: Canadian, English 
Price: $$$$

I recall driving past this pie shop once, but I was unable to find parking and just wrote it off for another day. For one, I do like pies, but I'll admit I'm not the biggest fan; I also find that, in comparison to other baked goods of various styles, pies are generally overpriced and I prefer spending that kind of money on other types of goodies. This is especially true of Savary Island, whose pies are expensive. Very expensive. $34 for a whole is a record that I don't think can be beat. $7.50 turns a slice of pie into a bit of a luxury (especially if you want to top it off with ice cream). However, for those not into pie, this pie company also has a small selection of bread and other, thoroughly old-fashioned English baked goods like scones, brownies and muffins. At $11 for a loaf of bread and $6 for a butter tart, it's just as jaw-dropping as the pies, though.
I took a cinnamon bun ($4.50) from the hot zone. Once I got the chance to eat it, the icing had solidified a bit, but there was lots of cinnamon and it was gooey. The dough was soft and the bun was pretty good, overall.

I guess the thing is that a warm pie is comfort food; it's a simple, everyday treat and overcharging for it so it becomes out of reach for normal people kind of defeats the purpose.

Rating: ***  

No comments:

Post a Comment